A Word About Dumbbells vs. Resistance Bands:
- You will get better results if you are looking to build muscle.
- You are able to accurately track your weight levels between sessions to see improvements.
- Resistance bands are MUCH less expensive.
- Resistance bands will work if you just want to tone and not build muscle.
- Resistance bands are nearly impossible to track weights because weight will vary on a band depending on where you place your foot.
If you decide to go with dumbbells, like I did, you could purchase single dumbbells at any sporting good store (15 and 25 pound sets to start cost about $100.00) and purchase new dumbbells as you get stronger. Just remember that dumbbells get more expensive as they get heavier.
I elected to put down the money on Bowflex Select Tech 552 Dumbells for the following reasons:
- They are adjustable from 5 to 52 pounds. (This is all that I will ever need)
- They are compact and easy to store. (I live in an apartment so this is important)
- They quickly adjust using a dial. (This is important for fast-paced training like P90X)
- I already invested $750.00 on my new lifestyle. I know I will use them.
Note: I did all of my research. Similar PowerBlock adjustable weights work on a pin system and can take 2 minutes to adjust. I also read that the pin system tends to bend/break. The deal-breaker for me was that the grip could be uncomfortable when doing certain lifts. Please do your own research.
Other weights and dumbbell systems may be a better fit for you depending on preference. Remember, I am not trying to sell you anything. Do what works best for you.